How do I remove spyware?
Unfortunately, there is no 'silver bullet' for Spyware as there are so many different types. There are also many software packages to remove spyware. The most popular free programs for removing Malware is Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware, although the following full retail packages should perform better:
Webroot Spy Sweeper
Stomp SpyWare X-Terminator
The following process should remove the vast majority of Spyware from a (Microsoft Windows) Computer:
- Remove any programs that you do not need by accessing your control panel and using the "Add/Remove Programs" option.
- Download the latest bug fixes and updates for Windows by clicking here.
- Download Spybot Search and Destroy and install it. If you already have this program, make sure it is up-to-date by using the "Search for updates" option.
- Download Ad-Aware and install it. If you already have this program, make sure it is up-to-date by using the "Check for updates now" option.
- Disconnect from the Internet and run both Spybot and Ad-Aware.
- Reboot your machine.
- Run both Spybot and Ad-Aware again.
How can I prevent Spyware?
- Don't click on pop-up adverts - close them using the task bar.
- Only visit sites that you know are credible.
- Always read the agreement when installing new software.
- Keep your operating system up-to-date.